Pet Info

Tannic acid toxicity from nuts

Some of the more common nuts we see in a household today can cause serious illness in pets that either ingest or just lick them.

Toxic effects

Tannic acid causes ulceration of the mouth, oesophagus and gastrointestinal tract. Tannic acid is especially toxic to the kidneys, and renal failure tends to be the hallmark of this disease especially in ruminants.

Symptoms

Most affected pets suffer from a very sore abdomen due to the damage to the lining of the stomach and intestines. If large amounts are ingested, kidney damage can be life threatening.

Treatment

Pets need supportive therapy including pain relief, IV fluids and removal of the toxin using emetics and/or activated charcoal. If the kidneys are damaged, then aggressive intensive care is required to try and save them.