Grape, Sultana and Marc Toxicity
Feeding pets grapes or sultanas can cause serious life threatening damage to the kidneys. Wine growers have to be careful pets don't eat any grape residue (Marc). The actual mechanism that causes the kidney damage is unknown.
- No urine production
- Off food (innapetance)
- Vomiting or dry retching
Grape induced acute renal failure has a mortality rate of 50%, even with aggressive intensive care.
Affected cases need early treatment with IV fluids and drugs to try and get the kidneys to make urine (Lasix, Mannitol, Dopamine).
Even with aggressive intensive care, cases may deteriorate over a few days and require euthanasia. An expensive exercise with a poor prognosis.