Pets may develop upset stomachs (vomiting and/or diarrhoea) due to a change in the diet, infections, worms, stress or a combination.
Management of diarrhoea involves
1) No food for 12-24 hours.
During this time give a re-hydration tonic e.g. Lectade and water.
2) Over the next 4- 5 days, feed a bland diet of:
- Boiled rice
- Boiled chicken or fish
- Cottage cheese or natural live yoghurt
- Scrambled or boiled eggs
- Dry toast
3) Feed small meals often (4-5 times a day). Do not give milk as it worsens diarrhoea.
4) Allow your pet to rest.
5) Once the diarrhoea has resolved, re-introduce the pet’s normal food over a 3-4 day period by adding increasing amounts of its normal food to the bland diet.
When to see the vet
If your pet’s diarrhoea does not respond to this regime within 48 hours or if your kitten is:
- Vomiting &/or depressed
- Losing weight
- Straining to pass faeces
- Passing blood &/or mucous
-contact BHVG on (02) 4448 5621